Jul 9, 2015 A.P.
Moeller-Maersk A/S freight volumes will probably increase by as much as 10 percent in the East African region this year, helped by accelerating economic growth and improved efficiency at major ports.
To read the entire article, go to http://bloom.bg/1KQJV95
A few highlights
Maersk reports as many as 24 berth moves per hour at the Mombasa container terminal, which has potential to double with on-going investment and productivity gains… Productivity in the private terminal at Dar es Salaam has improved to 33 berth moves per hour.
Maersk container shipping moved 380,000 20-foot equivalent units in the region last year, — about 35 percent of the total market.
Using HUB Ports, about 65% of Maersk freight in East Africa goes through Mombasa, while Dar es Salaam handles the bulk of the remaining 35%.
Hub ports with dense inland transport connectivity to markets is a key business model. Not all ports can be hubs.